Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Led Zeppelin: 1969-01-05 Los Angeles, CA (DVD-A_2 & 5.1 Channel Audio_1 DVD)

PREFACE: I GOT THE 3.26 GB, 48 KHZ/24 BIT LOSSLESS VERSION OF THIS SHOW AFTER MAKING THIS POST AND WILL UPDATE & UPLOAD IT SOON.  THE VERSION UPLOADED CURRENTLY (IN THIS POST) HAD REASON TO BE SUSPICIOUS LOOKING IN FILE SIZE AND THAT IS BECAUSE IT IS LOSSY.  ONCE I UPLOAD THE LOSSLESS COPY, YOU'LL KNOW BECAUSE YOU WON'T BE READING THIS.

This is an audio DVD (DVD-A) of a very, very early Zeppelin show as they were starting their career.  Led Zeppelin I hadn't even been released yet.  It was released 7 days after this show in fact according to RambleOnZep's great site.

It's been summarized in the original sharer's text file (left intact in this upload) that there were probably no more than 100 people at the venue on this last night in Los Angeles (for a short time anyhow).  This is Zeppelin at around 3 to 4 months into being known as Led Zeppelin and no longer their short-lived, contract fulfilling name The New Yardbirds.  And it's a great piece of history as well as a great sounding recording and show too!

I have to admit, I'm a little confused by the higher sample rate and bitrate properties of 48 kHz/24 bit and 96 kHz/24 bit audio and the actual file size of this upload (366 MB).  I'd expect this to have a lot larger file set size, but I've only built one DVD-A myself so far and it was three Zeppelin shows and right around 1 GB.  You can see on the back EVSD artwork below the following information on audio attributes:

(1) PPCM DVD Audio @ 96 kHz/24 bit in (A) 5.1 Channel Surround & (B) 2 Channel Stereo/Mono audio.
(2) Dolby Digital Audio @ 48 kHz/24 bit in (A) 5.1 Channel Surround & (B) 2 Channel Stereo/Mono audio.

The math doesn't add up to me.  I'm wondering if DVD Decrypter, used to process the original EVSD silver DVD transfer, may not have re-encoded the audio?  I'm really not sure and will check a little more on another PC before posting this.  But either way, it is in 5.1 and 2 channel audio streams and sounds better than other versions I know of or have heard (just as good as the FLAC CD version with the same title).  It sounds excellent in fact and much, much cleaner than many of the earlier versions I've run across over the years.

After more research, and after reading a thread on R-O about this DVD-A, it appears up-sampling was done on the 48 kHz/24 bit audio to get the 96 kHz/24 bit reported audio.  And that audio is reportedly in the AUDIO_TS folder which I do not have in my file set.  There reportedly is a 24 bit audio version and I hope to be able to get it sometime soon.  So, I'm still a little confused about this upload I'm sharing here.  The statistics on what I find on my copy are all below, and if this winds up being over sampled or lossy, I'll just upload the CD version of the show when I know more.  This DVD-A I'm uploading still sounds great and it's small enough in file size to where you can't go wrong by giving it a listen for yourself too.

I left the original uploaders files all in the upload and added them to the EXTRAS folder.  It contains their DVD Decrypter text file, information text file, md5 checksum file, and the 200 dpi artwork scans.

LINEAGE:
EVSD original silver > DVD+R > DVD Decrypter > TLH > you

SHOW DETAILS:
Date: January 5th, 1969
Location: Los Angeles, California
Venue: Whisky A Go-Go
Label: EVSD
Title: Live At Whisky A Go-Go!!!

DVD ATTRIBUTES:
Menus: Yes
Chapters: Yes
Artwork: Yes
Source: AUD
DVD Size: 366 MB
DVD Length: 53 minutes, 10 seconds

VIDEO:
Format: NTSC
Resolution: 720 x 480
Aspect: 4:3
Frame Rate: 29.97 fps
Bitrate: 9448 kbps
Codec: MPEG-2
Note: No actual concert video is on the DVD-A.  It is composed of photos from the show as the music plays.

AUDIO:
Sample Rate: 48 kHz (I see no 96 kHz properties)
Bitrate: 448 kbps
Codec: AC3 (Dolby Digital 2 Channel & 5.1 Channel)
Channels: 6 (2 Ch. & 5.1 Ch.)
Streams: 2

SETLIST:
01. As Long As I Have You
02. I Can't Quit You Baby
03. Train Kept A Rollin'
04. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
05. Dazed And Confused
06. Killing Floor
07. For Your Love

LINK:
1969-01-05 Los Angeles, LA (DVD-A)

If anyone has a verified 96 kHz/24 bit and/or 48 kHz/24 bit version of this show, please contact me via bootradr@yahoo.com or in the message area if you'd be willing to share your verified source!  Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help...

Bootsdr

SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL & MERCHANDISE TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment