Thursday, January 9, 2014

Led Zeppelin: 1977-05-21 Houston, TX (FLAC_SB Remaster_3 CD)

PREFACE: When I first posted this show I thought it sounded better than other versions and remasters I have.  But after listening to the Bertha Remaster version yesterday, I'm not as sure?  They're both excellent versions but I do believe the Bertha Remaster version is a cleaner, sharper, and more well mixed version now.  I just needed to listen to it it through the home theater setup.  I'll be uploading the Bertha Remaster version soon so you can judge for yourself!

This is a excellent/superb sounding soundboard of Led Zeppelin's 1977 Houston show.  This is a fan ("4-Eyed Freak") remastered version and the best version I have so far.  There are a few remastered versions out there as well as a few different titled versions too.  And while I don't have all of them (yet) to compare this remaster job too, it is definitely an improvement over the two or three versions I do have.  The Bertha Remaster version sound great but it isn't as vibrant or "atmospheric" sounding to me.  I may upload that version too once this one is complete.  The Bertha Remaster version does seem to have some clarity in it though and the stereo separation in more pronounced sounding.  The two remastered versions I'm talking about sound like night and day in contrast.  Both are excellent and very different at the same time.

I also have the Beelzebub label The Drum N Bass Show version of this show but I cannot find it on my hard drives right now.  I have it on CD-R copies too, but from what I recall in its sound, it is heavy on "the drums and bass" and over-driven in the EQ work and amplification.


I have to admit, I'm a little confused by the lineage of this upload.  I'm not sure why it was encoded/decoded back and forth between WAV and FLAC so many times.  But I'm adding the lineage just as it is listed in the text file.  It may be that one step was accidentally left in the lineage twice?  I really cannot say at this point.

LINEAGE: 
EVSD silver CD's (EVSD 341/2/3) > EAC Secure Mode Offset Corrected > WAV > FLAC (FLAC Frontend Level 6) > WAV (FLAC Frontend) > digital remastering > FLAC (FLAC Frontend Level 6) > me > TLH (for md5 and ffp file creations, testing for lossiness and for SBE's...neither found, and for files verification) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Led Zeppelin
Date: May 21st, 1977
Location: Houston, Texas
Venue: Houston Summit
Source: SB
Format: FLAC
CD's: 3
Artwork: Yes

Title: The Dragon Snake Remastered
Label: EVSD (4-Eyed Freak Remaster)
Size: 1.01 GB


SETLIST:
CD 1:
101. The Song Remains The Same
102. Sick Again
103. Nobody's Fault But Mine
104. In My Time Of Dying
105. Since I've Been Loving You
106. No Quarter


CD 2:
201. Ten Years Gone
202. The Battle Of Evermore
203. Going To California
204. Black Country Woman
205. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
206. White Summer/Black Mountain Side
207. Kashmir


CD 3:
301. Out On The Tiles/Moby Dick
302. Jimmy Page (guitar solo)
303. Achilles Last Stand
304. Stairway To Heaven
305. Rock And Roll

306. Trampled Underfoot
307. 1976 Presence promo (Earth Radio interviews with Plant & Bonham)

LINKS:
(1) 1977-05-21 Houston (SB/4-Eyed Freak EVSD Remaster)
(2) 1977-05-21 Houston (SB/4-Eyed Freak EVSD Remaster)
(3) 1977-05-21 Houston (SB/4-Eyed Freak EVSD Remaster)


There have been rumors flying around for a while that this show was professionally videotaped too.  And as most classic rock collectors may know, a lot of shows were video recorded at the Houston Summit between 1976 and 1977 (as well as in later years too).  But the big bands of the day reportedly had contracts with The Summit (called the "Houston Summit" by Houstonians) to record certain shows between 1976 and 1977 especially.  And most, if not all, of those shows have never been officially released but they have surfaced   The Eagles, Queen, KISS, etc, etc were recorded at the venue between 1976 and 1977 and those videos have never been officially released but they have surfaced over the years.  So while I don't know for sure whether Led Zeppelin's May 21st, 1977 show was filmed, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out it was.  And this clean soundboard even lends more credit to the video claims too.  If you have a video you have to have a soundtrack.  I just hope it surfaces either through trading, or better yet, as an official release by Led Zeppelin soon.  Because this is an excellent performance they put on this night and a great audio capture is what we have left from the show to share amongst friends and fans.

I really like this version of "Stairway to Heaven" played in this show.  Jimmy Page's guitar is up front, clean, and he plays it with feeling in this show.  I listened to this recording yesterday and I think I'm going to listen to the Bertha Remaster version today as a comparison.  So if you are interested in the Bertha Remaster version, either keep a lookout in case I upload it or leave a comment letting me know you'd like to get it and I'll upload it then.

I was too young to drive but was living in Houston when this show happened.  I still had a few years before I knew what real music was and my family and I had just moved to Houston less than a year earlier.  I can recall one specific memory of my sister and me riding with my dad to do something.  We pulled into a parking lot and on the radio there were commercials for the Queen show and the Led Zeppelin show that were coming to Houston that year.  Why I recall this, who knows?  I really didn't know much of anything about Led Zeppelin (or Queen for that matter) at the time.  But it wasn't too much after this time that all of that changed!  I just wish I'd had the foresight to have recorded the commercials back in the day :-)

I hope you enjoy the show...


Bootradr

SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL & MERCHANDISE TOO.KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment