Monday, March 31, 2014

Journey: 1974-03-30 San Francisco, CA (DVD_Pro Shot)

I remember how excited I was when I got this first of two 1974 videos of two Journey shows at Winterland Ballroom.  It was probably three or four years ago when these concerts surfaced on Wolfgang's Vault, and the videos that became available after that were all mp4 files sourced from the streaming video online.  They're still lossy video files, but at the same time, they're good enough and the best available (and only) files to build DVD's from and that's what I did.

I'm hoping these concerts surface in a lossless, LPCM video and audio format someday because these are the earliest shows on video we have of Journey that have surfaced.  I've always wondered if their 1973-12-31 show we have lossless audio of was recorded by Bill Graham's video taping crew?  Many of these shows were filmed without the artist's concert or knowledge too.  I'm not sure if this 1974-03-30 video or the 1974-05-26 video from the same venue were done this way or not, but it is really cool to have these early concert videos and watch them.

Yesterday was the 40th anniversary of this concert I'm uploading.  I was too lazy to upload it yesterday, on its 40th anniversary, so here it is today.

LINEAGE:
Wolfgang's Vault online stream capture > 640 X 480, 2099 kbps video & 103 kbps audio mp4 files > AVS Video Editor (to create chapters, re-encode for DVD build, & build DVD) > PC > TLH > you

SHOW DETAILS:
Artist: Journey
Date: March 30th, 1974
Location: San Francisco, California
Venue: Winterland Ballroom
Title: Winds Of March 1974
Label: Bootradr Project

DVD ATTRIBUTES:
Menus: No
Chapters: Yes
Artwork: Yes
DVD Size: 2.93 GB
Length: 43:57

VIDEO ATTRIBUTES:
Format: NTSC
Color and/or B&W: B&W
Resolution: 720 x 480
Aspect: 4:3
Frame Rate: 29.97 fps
Bitrate: 9384 kbps
Codec: MPEG-2

AUDIO ATTRIBUTES:
Sample Rate: 48 kHz
Bitrate: 384 kbps
Codec: mp2
Channels: 2
Streams: 1

CHAPTERS:
01. It's All Too Much
02. In My Lonely Feeling
03. Kohoutek
04. To Play Some Music
05. Of A Lifetime
06. In The Morning Day
07. unknown title instrumental

LINKS:
(1) 1974-03-30 San Francisco, CA (Pro Shot)
(2) 1974-03-30 San Francisco, CA (Pro Shot)
(3) 1974-03-30 San Francisco, CA (Pro Shot)
(4) 1974-03-30 San Francisco, CA (Pro Shot)
(5) 1974-03-30 San Francisco, CA (Pro Shot)
(6) 1974-03-30 San Francisco, CA (Pro Shot)

Journey's pre-Perry music is like a roller-coaster ride to me.  It's very similar in structure to a story in a book.  The music starts out and gives listeners an idea of how the song (or plot) goes, it changes up as it builds in intensity and interest, and then  bamg!  The part you've been waiting to hear (or the climax) hits and blows you away.  For me, that's usually Neal Schon's awesome guitar solo.  And then after that, it tapers off to the ending which many times has a hidden story waiting to throw you off of what you expect in the ending.  It changes a lot so you aren't really sure what to expect and I like that in a band, song, or story.

I wish Neal Schon would play some songs (be they old ones from the past or new ones) like he played them in Journey's early days.  Some of his guitar work was astounding in these early years.  I'm not saying it hasn't been astounding in later years too.  But today, the live shows are missing that unexpected lightning strike of an awesome guitar solo and the fact they're playing their radio played (or overplayed) tunes in concerts only can become a little monotonous at times.   Journey's concerts today, as well as many other bands from the past still playing live shows, need a good kick in the butt and something extra to change things up a little at times.  I like the surprise of a good, unexpected solo or musical change-up in a song and I know Journey is capable of adding that to any song they chose too.  Just check out Neal Schon's facial expressions as he takes off on a guitar piece in this show and you'll see he was playing from the heart and not just playing the same thing over and over again like he does nowadays.  I'm not saying I don't like to go see Journey shows nowadays because I do.  But I'd like to see the band go off their beaten path and do some ad-lib playing in each live show so that the song never remains the same live.  I'm looking forward to seeing Journey again this May and already have the tickets for the show.

I went ahead and added a scan of my LightScribe CD artwork I burned onto the lossless version CD I have of this show.  It'll work on a DVD too because "CD" is not written anywhere printable or transferable on the disc.

I hope you enjoy this free "free concert"...

Bootradr

SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment