Friday, October 17, 2014

Joe Satriani: 1988-05-22 Atlanta, GA (FLAC_SB/FM Live BX_2 CD)

Here's a superb concert captured of Joe Satriani's live FM broadcast on WKLS 96.1 FM (96 Rock) in Atlanta, Georgia in 1988.  These were still the days of great, full concerts being played live in cities where an artist played and especially if a show sold out.  I don't think that happens much if at all nowadays.  But it use to a lot when FM radio still ruled the day.

Satriani was touring right between his 1987 release of Surfing With The Alien and his 1989 release of Flying In A Blue Dream at this point.  I think for many people, myself included, 1987 was when I first heard of Joe Satriani.  And like many others I rushed to buy the cassette tape (and later upgrade to a CD) Surfing With The Alien.  I loved the rock and roll music with no lyrics and just flat out jamming.  It was definitely something new and different and it wasn't a glamor rock, hair band release like everything else coming out seemed to be at that time.  I'm not saying both styles didn't have their great songs.  It was just that I personally wanted something different, not pop driven, and Satriani was putting out the music you could crank up in your car and drive and listen to.  And I did that in my Chevelle a lot too,  I was jamming on Satriani and Whitesnake a lot in 1987 on my Sony car stereo and cassette deck with a great speaker setup I had installed just the previous year.  I wanna go back!

LINEAGE:
Turtle silver CD > EAC (Secure Mode) > WAV > TLH > FLAC 8 > Dime
> me > TLH > WAV (to test for lossiness) > Audacity (to view waveform, embed metadata/track titles & info, and then to re-encode) > FLAC 6 > TLH (to check for SBE's and create and verify ffp & md5 files) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Joe Satriani
Date: May 22nd, 1988
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Venue: The Cotton Club

Title: Surfin' At The Cotton Club

Label: Turtle
Source: SB/FM Live Broadcast
Format: FLAC
CD's: 2
Artwork: Yes
Size: 636 MB
Length: 90:18:50

SETLIST:

CD 1:
101. introduction
102.
Ice 9
103. Memories
104. Midnight
105. Rubina
106. Circles ~ drum solo
107. Lords Of Karma
108. Stu Hamm (bass solo
)

CD 2:

201.
Echo
202.
Hordes Of Locusts
203. The Crush Of Love
204. Always With Me, Always With You
205. Satch Boogie
206. encore break
207. Surfing With The Alien

BAND:
Joe Satriani (guitar)
Stu Hamm (bass)
Jonathan Mover (drums)

LINK:
(1) 1988-05-22 Atlanta, GA


I have a really great 1988 or maybe 1990/91 Satriani DVD of a show he did in California.  And it was professionally shot too.  I'll look for it once I get my hard drive I ordered in and arrange things where they can be much more easily found.  I've been working on this reorganization "project" for over two years now and almost have the majority of it ready and useable.  I may even be able to find the show faster and upload it.  In fact, I know I can.  If you have an interest in it, let me know in a comment and I'll upload it.

Do you remember the talk in 1987 about whether Satriani could actually tour since he was a studio made musician?  Well, the answer was obviously yes!  And he had great musicians that played with him then as he still does today. 

Also, do you remember who Joe Satriani taught guitar lessons too?  Here are two hints. (1) Steve Vai and (2) Yngwie Malmsteen.  To be honest, I never really listened to Yngwie and I bought a CD or two from Steve Vai but never gave him a lot of listening either.  To me, Satriani blew them both away.  And then later, in all of their careers, they created G3 and even made one or two officially released DVDs (I've got two I know of) of the three of them playing shows together.  G3 changed up at some point before or after this lineup but I can recall what the change was at the time.  And I'm not putting down any of the artists, but again, I think Satriani blew them away.

I'm listening to this show as I type up the post.  One of my favorite songs is "Circles" from Surfing With The Alien and it just started.  The way the song starts off with a mood of "mellow" and then transfers into a full blown "rock out" before it transitions back into the mellow ending is awesome.

It's been way too many years since I've listened to the actual 1987 official CD I purchased back then.  I see online that they're reissuing the original CD.  From what I was just reading the reissuing is of the CD as it was in 1987 and no remastering.  That's interesting and makes me wonder why?  I've always been happy with my 1987 copy, so I guess I got what I need already :-)

I hope you enjoy the show...

Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment