Saturday, February 28, 2015

Led Zeppelin: 1975-02-28 Baton Rouge, LA (FLAC_AUD_3 CD)

Today's the 40th anniversary of this Baton Rouge Led Zeppelin show, and what a show it is!  I uploaded a soundboard of the show here two years ago.  So I guess I should go ahead and post an audience recording of the show too.  Whether you want a soundboard or audience recording, and if I find time maybe even a soundboard and audience mix, they're here and ready for your eardrums to enjoy.

This is an excellent audience recording and I believe one of the better sounding ones for this date.  There is a little bass distortion at times and this Silver Rarities copy seems to have a more clean and less distorted bass sound in it than the EVSD copy does.  I'm pretty sure this is from the "Freezer" (the taper) sourced recording.  I've got a copy of this show listed as "12th generation Freezer" in the lineage.  But I believe that nobody really knows what generation the copy was in the lineage and they were just messing around with traders saying "12th generation" back int the day.  And it doesn't sound as good as this copy does either.

From what I understand, there is a master or low generation copy that exists.  But "Freezer" was reportedly a real hard person to get shows from and either wasn't sharing the copy or was holding it hostage until he got something for it.  I don't know if this really true, and really, I don't care.  Rumors or truth, it makes no difference to me.  I do have either two or three tracks from this source though and they really do sound incredibly clean and in the superb category.  So if the tape is being hoarded or there is some game being played keeping it out of the Led Zeppelin enthusiast's hands, there really is nothing we can do but wait and hope it surfaces one day.

"Freezer" recorded a number of Louisiana and Florida Led Zeppelin (and other bands) shows back in the 1970's.  Some I've heard are really excellent and others I've heard were not too great.  But he was (or maybe still is) a well know bootlegger from the old days.  And if this recording is from an unknown generation recording of his, and then reworked by SIRA, then thanks does go to him for recording it and at least sharing a copy with someone in the past.

LINEAGE:
No lineage given > FLAC >
me > TLH > WAV (to test for lossiness) > Audacity (to view waveform, embed metadata/track titles & info, and then to re-encode) > FLAC 8 > TLH (to check for SBE's and create and verify new ffp & md5 files) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Led Zeppelin
Date: February 28th, 1975
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Venue:
Louisiana State University
Title: Led Astray

Label: Silver Rarities (SIRA)
Source: AUD
Format: FLAC
CD's: 3
Artwork: Yes
Size: 936 MB
Length: 166:03:67

SETLIST:

CD 1:
101. intro
102. Rock And Roll
103. Sick Again
104. Over The Hills And Far Away
105. In My Time Of Dying
106. The Song Remains The Same
107. The Rain Song
108. Kashmir

CD 2:

201. No Quarter
202. Trampled Underfoot

203. Moby Dick

CD 3:
301. Dazed And Confused
302. Stairway To Heaven
303. Whole Lotta Love
304. Black Dog


LINK:
(1) 1975-02-28 Baton Rouge, LA (AUD/SIRA)


I think this is one of the best 1975 Led Zeppelin performances.  The performance is really excellent and the recordings, soundboard or audience, are between excellent and superb in quality also.

Led Zeppelin had been on the Physical Graffiti tour by this show for a couple of months and they had their shows down and were really playing them well.  The setlist was a great one and the more they played the better they sounded.  And the Physical Graffiti LP had been released finally in America just a week earlier and the fans were packing the venues to see these great shows live.  This was a great time for the band and the fans.

This title by SIRA, Led Astray, has been around for many years.  In fact, I just looked at the back artwork and it shows it was put out in 1995.  So it was half as long ago that it was released (20 years) as it was that the show was played (40 years ago).

The SIRA label copy was the first copy I ever had of this show too.  I got it sometime in the 1990's on a Kodak Gold CD-R trade with a buddy I recently got in touch with again from the trading days.  But I did not do an EAC rip of my copy and got this copy with no lineage not too long ago from a friend over at R-O.  And since this copy checked out perfectly fine and with no errors, I'm uploading it early this morning.

I may one day try and do a remastering of this show's audience sourced audio?  I'd like to amplify Page's guitar just a little bit to make it sound even better.  And I'd track the show a little differently than SIRA did.  They start the tracks a little too early in some songs and include Robert Plant's talking leading up to the song before the music begins.  Sometimes this works, but is not normally the way it is done and it would have been better if each track started with the beginning of the song in my opinion.  This is a great show like I said already and I'm sure any Led Zeppelin fan should like it as well as the superb soundboard recording I uploaded two years ago of this date too!

I hope you enjoy this recording on its 40th anniversary...
 
Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment